Transplanting herbs from an Aerogarden

Moving your hydroponics to soil


Spring is coming in NY despite this past week’s snowstorm, and gardening calendars tell me I need to start seeds indoors soon. Since I have a 100% kill rate of starting seeds in soil, I thought it best to use my technology enhanced cheat system to give these plant babies a real chance at life.

Ready to be ripped from your warm home?
Original Aerogarden Herb mix, with parsley, dill, Thai basil, Genovese basil, mint, and mint. The “thyme” pod grew a mint plant… Someone’s been unfaithful.

The original herb kit my Aerogarden came with (purchased with?)has been growing for 73 days and is looking good. Time to move you guys out for the next generation of food.


  • Odd pots and plant containers left over from last year’s genocide
  • Organic soil- don’t know if I trust MiracleGro to have the highest quality standards for a hippie like me, but that’s all Home Depot had
  • Root fertilizer- found a cool company called ecoscraps that recycles (?) leftover food
  • Strong ass scissors
Finger a hole. Heh heh heh
Loosely packed soil with room for the roots

Step 1: Partially fill a container with soil, and create a space to shove the plant into.

I'm serious about those strong ass shears.
Tread carefully. Roots don’t like to be fondled

Step 2: use your strong ass scissors to cut off the pod legs, and split the upper support to free the peat.

Fertilizer smells like fish. Dogs like fish. Beware of adverse interactions
Didn’t bother reading fertilizer instructions. This looks adequate.

Step 3: Insert plant. Sprinkle fertilizer. Pack with more soil. Water.

Sony Z camera captures light waves! How fascinating/irritating
Final product.

All done! I put some of the weaker looking plants back under the light for a few days to let them get accustomed to their new environment. This entire process took me a good part of the day, but could probably be done in two hours by somebody more competent.

Troubleshooting tips:

Basil, you cray cray
  • The basil roots pretty much ate everyone else around it. I tried being gentle but there was no way to get them out, so I probably ended up ripping about 50% of the roots off to get them out of their house hole.
  • Use a large bowl. There’ll be roots EVERYWHERE.
  • Water your new transplants often- I’d say check on them twice a day. Our rental apt is super dry in the winter and everyone started looking wilty by day two.

    More updates later!

    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

    You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


    Connecting to %s